Fire - playful and fascinating

I love fire...
It´s warm, it´s colourful and it´s fascinating. Is there anything better, or more romantic, than sitting around a bondfire - on the beach just looking into the flames playfully and unpredictable rising towards the sky. Feeling the heat against your legs and face, hearing the crackling sound as the wood crumbles into pieces - releasing the energy that has been kept inside for so long...

Fire is unpredictable. It can do good - keep us warm, help us cook or stay safe. Without fire men would never have developed to what we are today. But fire can also be decieving. It destroys - it kills! Fire has to be respected! It is a great force of nature that can not be fully controlled, nor trusted.

I like to "play" with fire. As a 15 year old I learned to juggle with tourches. Was already able to handle three balls, keeping them in the air at the same time, but torches semmed cooler so I practised for one whole summer juggling with stick before ordering real torches. Lightening them on fire for the first time was really frightening - not because it´s harder. Juggling with torches that are lit is the same thing as juggling whithout flames, but the sound makes it feel harder. The swishing sound pulls your attention and make it feels harder than it is. You don´t have to be afraid doing it. I have never burnt myself. The question "Have you never caught them in the wrong end?" is common. The answer is simple: "Of cours not!" You don´t juggle with your eyes closed. If the torch comes down upside down you don´t catch it! It´s as simple as that. Even if you would, your natural reflexed would let go of it before you could even feel the heat. It´s not harder juggling with lit torches - still it´s not easy! When it´s dark, the only thing you can see is the fire and that is not where you catch it! Juggling torches in the dark is therefore more a sence, a felling, than anything else. You could do it with your eyes closed...

After juggling with fire for a year I wanted to learn something new. I had friends that could breath fire, which seemed very powerful to me. Unfortunately they refused to teach me, so I had to figure it out by myself. One afternoon as my parents  took off I sneaked out on the backyard. Torch and fire fluid in my hands and tried. It went good, except the the texture of the liquid combined with the heat of it made it impossible to feel it pouring into my mouth. Didn´t realised how much I had in it till it overflowded. Tasting it for the first time almost made me through up. The flavour is none-decribable. Since it´s chemically made it tastes like nothing you´ve ever tasted that comes naturally from nature. Breathing fire is easy, the easyest thing to learn of all the tricks to do with fire, but also the hardest to master and the most dangerous! Breathing a cloud of fire is not hard. As you imagine, you just put some liquid in your mouth and breath it out on a torch. Making it look good on the other hand is an art. I have friends that are able to breath a 4 m cloud right up towards the sky, from their mouth (torch taken away) - standing on their knees. That is cool! Seeing pictures of myself breathing a small "fireball" is almost pathetic. To those who have never seen it before it might be coll, but to those who knows the art I´m a beginner. Taking good pictures is also an art. You gotta catch the cloud at the right moment to get a great one. My brother succeded taking a picture of me breathing a heart. The picture is very cool, even though I have no idea how I did it...

As said, breathing fire is dangerous - very dangerous. Swallowing the fluid is not the worst, you always do - a little. From what I´ve heard you can drink about 3 dl of fire fluid (a bit more than a cup) before it´s life threatening - not that you should. If you happen to swallow some the only rule is - DO NOT THROW UP! When you do all passeges open, which means also the one to your lugns. Getting fluid in your lungs is the dangerous part, that can get you killed. As a natural rule therefore never get the idea of breathing fire after drinking alcohol - except the vomiting part it is not a good idea. Focus is the main part of doing it safetly. Not just the fluid itself but also the steams of it can be dangerous to inhale. I have a friend breathing fire as he was about to get sick and han an infection in his body that put the immune system down. As he inhaled the steams it hurt his lugns and he ended up at hospital with a chemical pneumonia.

The skill of breathing fire is not complete till you learn putting the flame out - with your moth. The worst part of it is getting the guts to do it. Holding the burning torch upside down over your face, feeling the heat as you lower it, daring to take the last step and close your lips around it is more scary than it looks like. Telling the truth I don´t know the techinqe of it, if there is one, which might be the reason to why I´ve burnt myself several times. Being stupid enough using a breathing torch (with an iron shaft instead of a wooden one) I have ended up having blisters and swollen lips for a week after hearing the frying sound as the inside of my mouth met the heat of the flame - not very pleasent.

There are many tools to use while "playing" with fire of which tourches are the basic ones. One of the coolest firetoys there is, probably being developed from some kind of weapon used in martial arts, are the ones called poi. Simply decribed it´s a chain, attached to some kind of wiegth that can be put on fire, in one end and two loops to stick your fingers through in the other. The art is to swing them, making different patterns in the air, showing strings of fire in the air if it´s dark. Pretty easy to learn and very effectful. Swinging poi is the newest of my skills, and I have much more to learn berfore I get really good, but is something I enjoy preforming and practesing. Doing poi, as well as juggling, is pretty safe and it´s hard to get hurt - or put on fire, since you swing them too fast for the fire to get a change to attatch anywhere...

How come I "play" with fire? As I´ve said I think fire is a fascinating element - to be respected - and cool to be able to "master". Being a fire preformer is a lifestyle - an artistic one. It takes some feeling to enjoy it, and personally I am pretty proud of being a swedish, blond 19 year old firebreathing GIRL. Being able to do things that not a very big amount of people are, and that most people are impressed by is a great feeling. Having it as a hobby, practesing every once in a while, preforming to family and frinds (and sometimes at ocations as birthday parties or festivals) is enough for me. I have no plans taking this further. Starting out as a 15 year old I have never gotten hurt, except some blisters in my mouth from time to time. Once I burnt the eyelashes off my left eye, which made me look pretty weird for a few weeks, getting reminded of the risks with breathing fire when it´s windy. (Figured the fire could only have been mm from my eye.) Even though I´m not a beginner anymore I still respect the fire and it´s forces, and know never to be wreckless.

Fire is a good thing, fascinating and playful. Never to be feared but respected. Wathcing fire as it  burns never gets you bored. The ever-changing life of the flames as the release the enery of it´s source can keep me entertained for hours. The heat of it makes a frozen person as me enjoy it even more as it has the power to change the climate of the clodness in the north, or the darkness at night. Enjoy the forces of fire! It´s a gift from nature that needs to be appreciated for what it is - an element of heat and comfort!

LBI - pleasure and burnt skin.

Back again!
11.10 pm I once agin unpacked the car of bathinsuits and groceies while the parents carried the sleeping children upsatirs and put them to bed. It was a long weeken, a great one, and I burnt all the pieces of my body possible - including my ears!

LBI - Long Beach Island - New Jersey is one of the coolest places I have been to. It is just perfect! As the name tells i´t is simply a long island surrounded by beaches, with houses in the middle. There are cool shops and restaurantes, hot life guards, and just the best place to hang out with all your friends. As a fact of matter I wasn´t spending this long Memorial weekend with all my friends but with my hostfamily and their relatives. Might not sound as a dream but I had a great time, and would have loved to stay there for the rest of my time here.

The reason I got the privilege to spend a this weekend at a place like that, is that Doug´s mother - and husband - owns a beach house at the north shore, which is one of the most beautiful and memorable houses I have ever been to. It is big, and has beds enough, to fit 20 people at the same time. The posision is just perfect, right by the shore, and you can see the ocean from the fronside deck/balkony/roof/kitchen. The interior is white and incedible relaxing (imagine waking up in the biggest bed, in a white room where the walls are decorated with sea-shells hearing the sound of the ocen outside the window) an everything is suited to fit a bunch of kids and their parents. The kitchen is huge (with a gigantic fridge, two dishwashers and a dining table with room for 16 people), there are bathrooms everywhere, beachtowles and toys enough to please an army (of kids) and TV rooms prepared with all the new kids´ movies. As the host stands grandma - alias Superwoman - who is one of the most admirable persons I have ever met! She is funny, playful and always smiling but sticks to her rules and when she speaks even the big boys bow their heads in respect. If I´m ever going to be a grandma myself I have a certain rollmodel right there, and it would be a dream to have a house just like hers. (Who said money doesn´t matter?)

Me, Jenny and the kids arrived to the house Thursady night and got the house to ourselves the entire Friday. Even though the weather wasn´t perfect we got  a great Friday together going to the bay, exploring "Viking Village", playing Tag at the beach and throwing clam-shells from the roof at sunset. Saturday started out with breakfast at the roof (strawberries and bluberries with milk) overlooking the ocean, followed by half a day enjoying the sun at the beach. At noon, as the clouds started to cover the sun, I decided to "explore" the island. Grabed my purse and started walking, and after about 6,5 miles (10 km) I found some shops breaking the pattern of great beach houses. Bought myself a coffeee and prepared my mind for the long walk back. Luckily I got picked up after only a mile by Jenny who was passing by, taking Elin to get her ears pierces. It wasn´t till then when I sat down I realised my feet really hurt (walking that distance in flip flops hasn´t been by most brilliant idea) and examining them I found out I had big blisters between my toes as well as under my feet. Also had a nice red tone covering my face, arms and shoulders keeping me up half the night with burning heat. Nice, sweaty and sexy as I was I must have made an awersome first inpression on the cousins (16 and 18 year old girls with boyfriends), but after showering they would still let me join for dinner and gave me a spot underneath the blanket on the wet roof as they watched the stars.

Sunday was cloudy and windy so I got to be the driver of all kids, cousins and boyfriends to the minigolf place, and yes I did come at last place. At night we had a poker tournament and to my big irritation Doug kicked me out with one point. I will revenge him before I go back home, no question about it! 

Last day, Memorial Day, was great! Weather was nice so it was beach all day long, which of course led to more redness and pain, but who cares when you get to enjoy the beach?!   Saying goodbye to the house, the island and of course super grandma at night was hard. I will really miss her and Rick a Lot, but hopefully I will have a truthful penpal! One long last weekend with the family at the beach felt very good and now I just have to enjoy the last month as much as I poissibly can before I go back to the coldness and rain of Sweden!

"Banging" at Newark Street Party

After two weeks of working with no break in between it was really nice having the weekend off! Trashed Emmy´s basement Friday night, since mine was taken by aroung 15 screaming girls aged 8-10 who were ahving a sleep-over party. "Thanks to" the darkness in her room we didn´t wake up till 11.15 (!) which is the longest I´ve slept in since I got here 11 months ago. Decided to get up pretty quick to get something out of the day and went, after a short conversation with my now 13 year old brother (No, he´s till 9 to me), to get some gift-shopping done. Of course we ended up buying everything else but what we should, but we also went eating at the most awesome, as American as you can imagine, place called Ruby´s diner. It was like stepping in to a sixties movie and of course we ha milkshake, which was incredible good and probably as unhealthy.

While reaching the goal of shopping trip Chis called to ask if we were up for partying?! After about halv a ten´s second of consideration we said Yes and headed home to get the camera and a toothbrush before leaving for Newark. (Thank you Bruce who let us take the car over noight!). After just 10 min of being lost we found the place and OUR guy, and got introduced to a bunch of his friends, all new to us. Even though you could sense the rain coming it was warm and we were chill´n at the backside "deck" listening to techno music and learning how to play dice. A guy showed up and offered us some awesome straws, Emmy got pineapple/pear that came to be named "the onion ring" and I got a strawberry/onange one, that we used for drinking beer all night long. I met a lot of cool guys that I tought to say "We´re partying"(Vi festar) and I showed a guy how to REALLY drink wiskey. He was about to waste it by mixing it with Diet Coke?!

Around 10.30 we headed out towards some crazy "Jungle party" but stopped buy another place at first where Emmy found some music dudes who she JAMED with! Emmy is the God of Jimmie Hendrix and have wanted to find someone to play with ever since she got here, and finally she got her oportunity.She was a bit shy at first of course and it took a while to convince her to grab the guitar, but when she did she was ROCK`n it! The others just followed and I, along with the others watching, were digg´n like crazy twisting and singing along. Even though my jaw hurt I couldn´t stop smiling and I was so happy for Emmy who finally got what she has wanted for so long!

We all wanted the playing to last forever, but it started to get late, and it wasn´t exactly silent music, so they stoped before the cops would come and tell them to. Instead we haeded toward the "jungle" party which was so crowded you could barely breath. Jungle wasn´t exact the feeling of the small overcrowded appartment packed with girls dressed in sexy Zebera(no they don´t live in the jungle) underwear, maybe with an exception for the tropical heat in the room. We stayed for a while haning with some people we knew before squeezing out in the rain to walk back to the "second" place of our visit. There we ended up stadning outside in the dizzeling rain talking all night long ( some did more then just talk), and I had a conversation about America with a smart guy who was going to move to Thailand in two weeks. We also met Rocky (I swear he looked like the real one whoe´s statue is by the stairs of the Philadelphia Muséum of arts) who actually had been in Stockholm. He said he liked it but that the Movie Theaters were very small.

At 3.45 am I found myself half laying in a sofa in a "hippie-girl" appartment with a blanket over my legs, and the quite damaged straw still sticking out of my bra. Three hours later I found myself waking up in the same sofa after a short night´s sleep but with a feeling that I had a Baninging last night!


Hej igen!
har inte skrivit på ett tag, som vanligt antar jag men den här gången har jag en bra ursäkt. jag har nämligen jobbat dygnet runt sedan i söndags morse (halv officiellt sedan i fredags). Anledningen till detta är att Doug fick för sig att boka en romantisk femdagars trip till jamaica åt honom och Jenny. Vem är jag att stå ivägen för detta härliga påbrå? Glaa för deras skull svarade jag genast ja då de frågade om det var ok att jobba så mycket på en gång. För att vara ärlig såg jag fram emot att få ha barnen "för mig själv" under helgen.

5.30 fredag morgon drog de iväg och klockan sju ringde min väckarklocka. Bästa au pairen som jag är skuttade jag upp och stekte svenska pannkakor till frukost. Detta fick upp barnen utan problem och de blev färdiga i tid trots påtvingad sängbäddning och läxförhör. Fredagen såg sden i stort sett ut som vanligt. Vädret var fint och barnen lekt ute tills dess att middagen var färdig vid halv åtta. Dagen i ära hae jag slängt ihop två hemmagjorda pizzor, en åt barnen och en åt de "vuxna" som inefattade inte bara mig utan också mormor och morfar som kom över för att hjälpa till med barnen under helgen. De uppskattade den tunna, halft brända pizzan med oliver och getost ungefär lika mycket som jag och hade sedan inga problem att lägga barnen då jag smet ut och träffade några kompisar.

Lördagen var lugn och jag var i stort sett helt fri från jobb. Mormor och morfar häll ställningarna medan jag tog en tur till banken samt träffade en kompis några timmar, men jag höll mig mestadels hemma för säkerhets skull. På kvällen avr det middag hos grannarna, den godaste jag ätit på väldigt länge, och efter det var barnen trötta nog att få i säng på ett smidigt sätt.

Söndag förmiddag började det "riktiga" ansvarandet då morföräldrarna åkte och jobbade. Efter en morgon av sockerkaksbakande, Mors-dag till ära, drog vi iväg till parken och hade picnic. Barnen lekte vid ån och hoppade såklart i med kläderna på, varefter vi åt lunch uppe i lekställningen. Vid två var det dags för Niklas att ha flaggfotboll så vi åkte till HAC där jag och tjejerna lekte under tiden. Då han var färdig hade vi en timma att slå ihäl innan det var Elins tur att träna volleyboll. Vad passar bättre att göra en solig ag med tre barn än att åka och äta glass? Första alternativet var "Glassfarmen" men kön var så lång att det hade tagit 2h att bara komma fram så vi drog till Ritaz istället och köpte oss de smarrigaste mjukglassar vi kunde få tag i. Med glass i magen var det dags för en annan tur till HAC innan vi åkte hem för att dekorera den extremt svenska jordgubbstårtan som mormor skulle få i Morsdags-present. Efter en ännu svenskare middag tillagad av morfar själv åt vi tårta och helgen avslutades på ett vädligt trevligt sätt.

Måndag morgon var det dags igen. Den är gången var det värmda bagels och frukost-bullar med varm choklad som serverades till frukost och bussen fick med alla tre barnen även denna dag. Eftermiddagen bestod, i vanlig ordning, av en tur till HAC för karate följt av tre ovanligt snabba duschar i förmån för popcorn och filmmys innan sängags.

Solen sken in och väckte mig kvart över sju tisdag morgon och det var inte med riktigt samma energi som fredagen jag tog mig upp ur sängen. Trots detta slängde jag ihop French Toast (Fattiga Riddare) till frukost och barnen var nöjda och glada då de hoppade på bussen. Efter skolan fick jag deala med en hysterisk nioåring som hamnat i bråk, fått näsblod och en utskällning av busschauffören på vägen hem från skolan. Efter en halvtimma var allt på topp igen, förutom tidsrymden under vilken jag skulle laga middag och hjälpa till med läxorna. I hyfsa tid gav vi oss iallafall iväg till Svenska Skolan och vi hade nog varit i tid och jag inte tagit fel avfart och fastnat i trafikrusningen. Till sist kom vi iallafall fram för att upptäcka att ingen var där. Förmodligen hade kvällens lektion blivit inställd, men´vi ödslade ingen tid på att stanna kvar utan förflyttae oss snabbt till ett Softball field och tittade på när Elin spelade match. Jag skrek och hejade tillsammans med de andra föräldrarna även om jag inte hade någon större aning om vad spelet går ut på. Solen sken iallafall och även om vi inte var hemma förrän vid 8 var kvällen inte fy skam. Efter en aning stimmig timma av nattande, tre böcker och 7 sånger senare pustade jag ut i soffan tills föräldrarna återvände klockan 12.

Njöt till fullo av min sovmorgon i morse och fick till min stora glädje sluta redan klockan 15.30 då Jenny åkte med barnen till Philaelphia för att gå på teater med svenska skolan. Måste dock erkänna att helgen har gått väldigt fort och att jag har haft toppenkul med barnen! De har verkligen uppfört sig från sin bästa sida och det känns som att de har börjat respektera mig nu, "Great timing" som Doug sa, och kommer att sakna mig då jag åker hem. En och en halv månad känns alldeles för lite tid att spendera med dem innan jag åker och jag kommer säkerligen sakna våra härliga stuner tillsammans!

Leaving or Returning?

Tjosan hejsan!
Maj har anlänt, så också regnet för visst är det självklart att den sämsta våren i Landenbergs historia (eller iallafall närapå om man ska tro de som bor här) infaller det året jag är här. Solen och värmen, som livade upp mina dagar betydligt förra veckan, är nu spårlöst försvunna och ersatta me everlasting gray clouds an pouring rain. Jag kan iallafall inte låta bli att lägga märke till hur otroligt GRÖNT allt har blivit. Gick en promenad med Lambo (familjens tennisboll-fanatiska labrador) i sönags, och det kändes som att ta en tripp till Irland. Med maj i almenackan innebär detta även att årets slut börjar göra sig påmint värre än någonsin. Nej, inte sluetet av 09 - slutet av Au pair experience och detta skrämmer mig än jag för ett år sedan trodde var möjligt.

Kan erkänna att, då jag signade upp för au pair programmet, tänkte mer på vad det skulle ge mig efteråt än vad det skulle innebära här. Ett år fritt från studier, med resande involverat, kändes inte helt fel. Att komma till USA, bo gratis och tjäna tillräckligt med pengar för att kunna se mig om i detta omtalade land känndes som ett bra sätt att "vara ledig" på. Att ha det i registret då man söker jobb samt en avserärt förbättrad engelska var inte heller följder som höll mig tillbaka, men då jag tänkte på saken innan det var dags för avresa var jag inte alls sugen på att dra till Staterna ett år. Innerst inne ville jag inte åka alls, men på något sätt  tvingade jag mig själv att ge mig av och nu är det snart dags att göra det samma i motsatt riktining.

I början var det tufft. Jag längtade hem, till tryggheten, och förbannade det faktum att jag varje morgon slog upp ögonen och insåg att jag förtfarande var här. Egentligen fanns det ingen riktig anledning till detta. Familjen var (och är) jättebra, ommrådet är perfekt och jag hade redan en massa kompisar att hänga med. Trots tänkte jag inte på annat än att komma hem. Sommaren var lång, men då hösten anlände började saker och ting gå lättare. Jag firae födelsedag och Halloween och sedan kom MIAMI. Efter återkomsten, och kärleken hade tagit ett steg in i mitt liv, var det dags att förbereda inför jul, och vips så hade jag nått hallvårssträcket! Om det första halvåret tagit ovanligt lång tid, kan jag knappast säga desamma om det andra. Med maj i kalendern innebär det att kommande månad är min sista. På misommar, den 19 juni, gör jag min sista insats som barnvakt, sedan bär det av till västkusten och den 8 juli återser jag Göteborgs flygplats och sommaridyllen på Nässjös gråa gator. Ett år har gått så extremt fort, men hur känner jag nu?

Jag är nära målet nu - ett år i Staterna och snart kan jag återgå till skolbänken...?! Vad det här året har gett mig, förutom ett break från plugget och förbättrade engelska-kunskaper, är en helt annan syn - på livet, på världen och på mig själv. Visst har jag förändrats, det gör alla i den här åldern oavsett om man flyttar över havet eller inte, men inte på det sätt jag trodde utan till något mycket bättre. Jag vill inte tillbaka till Sverige. Detta kan låta hårt, såklart vill jag vara nära min familj och mina vänner igen, men Sverige är i ärlighetens namn ett ganska deprimerande land. Ur medborgarsynpunkt måste jag säga att Sverige är ett av de bästa länderna i världen, men ur Alex-synpunkt är det mörkt, kallt och fullt av osäkra pessimistiska människor. Detta kanske låter orättist, och jag menar inget illa med det för jag var själv (och är till viss del fortfarande) likadan, antar att de svenska ränderna aldrig kommer att gå ur, men det är inte dit jag vill nu. Om inte pengar hade en så förbannat stor inverkan på livet och de drömmar man vill uppnå hade jag lätt kunnat vara borta i fem år till och bara resa runt. Jag vill utforska världen, se nya platser, träffa nya människor, bli grym på språk och bara leva. Leva för stunden, för mig själv och inte bry mig om hur jag ser ut eller vad andra tycker. Tyvärr kommer det inte att bli så, helt och hållet, men jag ska göra ett starkt försök att komma så nära en beskrivningen som möjligt!

Om ca 2 månbader kommer jag hem. Två månader är inte mycket tid att göra allt man vill, tänk er att ni enast hade två månader kvar att leva - vad skulle ni ägna dem åt ? Jag är naturligtvis excited över att få komma hem till Sverige - träffa kompisarna igen, hänga med familjen och proppa i mig så mycket lösgodis och kebab som är möjligt innan man spricker, men känslan av upprepning ligger stark över mig. Nu har jag en familj här - en halvamerikansk med tre adopterade småsyskon - jag har intressen, kompisar och ett liv. Jag kör en gagantisk automatväxlad bil till gymet, festar med collagestudenter på helgerna och lagar kyckling-wook i "vårat" kök under veckorna. Att säga hejdå till allt detta kommer inte vara helt smärtfritt. Att återgå till skolbänken, hur nödvändigt det än må vara, är inte helt ångerstfyllt efter ett år av total frihet. I ärlighetens namn är det enda som gör resan hem riktigt värd tanken på att jag snart ska åka igen. Efter tio dagar hemma ger jag mig åter av, om än bara för tre veckor, åt andra hållet - mot Australien och återföreningen med kärleken från Miami.

Trots mitt drömmande har jag ändå en känsla för realism kvar. Jag kan inte, eller såklart kan jag det för inget är omöjligt, flumma runt värlen i all evighet utan pengar. Jag behöver utbilda mig någon gång och det är lika bra att få det avklarat. För att ha möjlighet att flumma lite extra som vuxen har jag siktet inställt på ett jobb med lite högre lön än medelsvenssons och kommer satsa på en utbildning med möjligheter till utomlandsstudier och en famtid i whatever country possible. Kanske jag stannar i Sverige i det långa loppet, kanske flyttar jag till Indonesien. Det går inte att förutsäga livet - i så fall är något extremt fel - utan det är bara att ta vettiga beslut, leva i nuet, jobba hårt och så får man se vart man hamnar. Livet är fullt av möjligheter, det gäller bara att vara öppen för dem!

RSS 2.0